Almost everyone has made a resolution for the new year which hasn’t quite worked out! Common resolutions include losing weight, eating healthy, saving more money, and exercising regularly. However, many people also struggle with finding motivation to keep these promises to themselves.
Why do New Years resolutions fail?
- If you feel like your new years resolution has failed, it could be because of one of the following reasons: Resolutions are unrealistic – people often make goals that are too difficult to follow through on. They might also set goals that are unattainable in a short amount of time.
- Resolutions are vague – many people make resolutions without having a plan of action. This can lead to frustration when trying to achieve the goal.
- Resolutions are short-term orientated – most people set goals that are only meant to last for a few weeks or months. Once the initial excitement of the resolution wears off, it’s easy to lose motivation.
- Resolutions are based on others’ opinions – people often make resolutions based on what they think other people want from them. This can add a lot of pressure and make the goal harder to achieve.
So, how can you prevent your New Years resolution from failing? Here are a few tips:
1. Make sure your resolution is realistic
– think about what you can accomplish in the short and long term. set goals that challenge you but are still achievable.
2. Be specific about your resolution
– if your goal is to “lose weight”, define how much weight you want to lose and by when.
3. Make your resolution achievable
– don’t set more than 3 resolutions that you know you can follow through on.
4. Be prepared to work hard
– some goals require a lot of persistence and determination to complete them, make sure you’re ready for the challenge!
5. Don’t worry about what other people want from you
– your resolutions should come from within, not based on what others expect of you. If it’s something that benefits you and only you, then it’s worth pursuing.
6. Keep track of your progress
– don’t just write down what your goal is, have a system of marking your success as you go along. This can help to keep you motivated when times get tough.
7. Don’t give up
– remember, everyone makes mistakes and falters at some point during their journey to a goal. It’s not about being perfect, it’s about getting back up and trying again.
So these are just a few ways to stop new years resolutions from failing. Hopefully, you’ll have found at least one idea that will work for you!