What are good first date questions?
When going on a first date, there are certain rules that everyone follows. For example, you should always dress appropriately for the venue, and it’s always polite to offer to pay (albeit a power move not to!). But what about conversation? What kinds of questions should you ask your date to get them talking and avoid that blank stare that makes everyone feel uncomfortable? You don’t want your date answering your question with just “fine,” and then silence ensues for the next three hours. That’s why we’ve made this list of 100 different common and interesting first date questions to get things started right:
Questions about them
- What makes you laugh?
- What was the best part about growing up for you? The worst?
- If you could sit down and have a normal conversation with any celebrity, who would it be and what would you ask them?
- What is something that other people might find strange about your life, but it doesn’t bother you in the least?
- In five years from now, where do you see yourself?
- What are you most passionate about in life right now?
Questions about family
- What’s your family like?
- Do you have any siblings?
- What are their names?
- Are they older or younger than you?
- What do you like to do with your family on weekends?
- How often do you see them?
- Does your family have any fun / crazy traditions around the Holidays?
Questions about food
- Do you like spicy food, if so what’s the spiciest thing you’ve ever eaten ?
- If I come over to cook dinner at your house one night, what would be a good dish that I could make that would impress you and my date?
- If we’re going out, where is a place around town that has really great food?
- What’s your favorite cuisine?
- What’s the best restaurant you’ve been to in the past year?
Questions about movies, TV shows, or books
- Is there a movie that has influenced who you are today that isn’t too well-known?
- What was your favorite story as a kid? How about now?
- Which TV show do you keep going back to re-watch, again and again ?
- If you had to live in a book, which one would it be?
- Do you like watching comedies or dramas better? Have you seen (name of comedy/drama)? Would you like to see the movie version of it? If not, why not?
Questions about friends
- Is there anything that happened with your family growing up that formed who you are today?
- What’s something funny that one of your friends does?
- How long have we known each other and how did we meet for the first time?
Questions about pets
- Do you have any pets?
- Where do they come from?
- What are their names?
- What are their personalities like?
- Who do they remind you of?
- Who takes care of them when you’re not there?
- Are they cute?
- Do you have photos?
Questions about travel
- Where is one of the most beautiful places in the world you’ve visited?
- If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
- What was one of your favorite trips?
- Why did you enjoy it/what made it special for you?
- What languages do people speak there?
Questions about nature and animals
- Do you like nature or spending time outside?
- Where is one of your favorite places to go hiking or camping?
- Do you prefer the mountains, beach, forest, etc.?
- Who’s your favorite animal and why?
Questions about free time
- How do you like to spend your free time (if there is such a thing)?
- If money were no object, what would be a dream day for you?
- Are you a social person? Do you prefer small gatherings or large parties with lots of people?
Questions about current events/news/concerns on mind
- What are some things going on in the country right now that concern you as a citizen?
- Who did you vote for in the last election why?
Questions about their job / workplace
- What’s your typical workday like?
- What do you enjoy about your current job?
Questions about relationships or values
- How important is family in your life?
- When was the last time someone did something nice for you and how did it make you feel?
- Do you prefer working on many projects at once or just one thing at a time until it’s completed?
The number of questions you could ask on a first date is endless. You could ask them about their job, family, politics, favorite foods and the list goes on. While it’s good to express interest by asking questions about what makes your date tick, you also want to try not to make your date uncomfortable since you don’t really know each other yet.